The out-of-home care agency that manages a young person’s last placement is responsible for providing or arranging support until 25 years of age.
If a care leaver cannot access support from their existing provider, for example they have moved or do not wish to communicate with them, they can seek support from a CatholicCare specialist aftercare service.
When a care leaver reaches out for help, it is important to provide whatever assistance you can, even if you did not have direct involvement with their time in care.
CatholicCare’s aftercare caseworker can provide assistance with:
- linking the care leaver back to their OOHC provider if necessary or appropriate
- identifying and clarifying the care leaver’s needs including the level of urgency
- reviewing and amending their leaving care plan if required
- supporting the care leaver to access services such as Centrelink and targeted products such as the Transition to Independent Living Allowance (TILA)
- supporting the care leaver find accommodation, access education or vocational training, counselling, employment, legal advice, health services or professional services
- offering advice about other government or non-government agencies that can help with family searching, family mediation and family reunion services
- assisting the care leaver to access their OOHC file and personal documentation.
If you would like to be referred or would like to refer someone to CatholicCare’s Aftercare service, please complete the referral form here LINK to electronic referral form which is forwarded to Aftercare inbox email@example.com
Please note: Every young person leaving care should be encouraged to access TILA funding. OOHC caseworkers can apply on behalf of the care leaver using the NSW TILA application form (hyperlink to form) and sending it to Southern Youth and Family Support (SYFS) via firstname.lastname@example.org or fax 4240 4891. Caseworkers do not need to contact DSS directly. Instead, all questions and applications must be sent to SYFS.
If you require further support or information you can contact:
- the organisation that managed your out-of-home care placement
- your local Department of Communities and Justice (FaCS) office
- DCJ care leaver line 1800 994 686 or CareleaversLine@facs.nsw.gov.au
- CatholicCare – 02 49791120