CatholicCare Social Services Hunter-Manning partners with the Development and Relief Agency (DARA) to provide a range of supports for refugees and asylum seekers. Our multicultural family support workers provide casework and advocacy assistance to refugees and asylum seekers who are referred by DARA as well as by external agencies.
Refugees who settle in Australia face new challenges. Many have experienced significant trauma fleeing difficult conditions in their home country. In addition, there is the trauma of losing possessions, and everything they know. Often there is separation from family as they seek refuge in a new country, sometimes in limbo in another country while waiting to enter Australia. For refugees and asylum seekers to be successfully settled in Australia, we need to welcome them into our community.
This is where our multicultural family support workers can help. They meet with refugees and asylum seekers and together a plan is developed to assist them work towards their goals. Some of the support CatholicCare provides includes:
- assistance gaining work experience and employment
- assistance accessing TAFE and other tertiary training
- liaising with other migrant/refugee agencies to ensure clients are accessing all available settlement services
- liaising with government agencies to ensure clients are obtaining appropriate benefits and understand their obligations
- assisting refugees and asylum seekers access much-needed medical, psychological and allied health support
- facilitating education sessions and hosting a variety of programs in collaboration with DARA such as:
- a women’s social and skills group
- excursions aimed to widen clients’ knowledge of their new surroundings
- referral to DARA’s English program
- referral to DARA’s beach safety and bike safety workshops.
CatholicCare Social Services Hunter-Manning and DARA always welcome volunteers to support our refugee programs. If you would like to enquire about available support, volunteering, or making a financial donation to assist this important work, please fill in the form below and we will be in contact.