We currently need help with the following roles at CatholicCare Refugee Hub, which is located in Mayfield:
1. General Support - Volunteers to provide general support to our caseworkers and programs for a full our half day each week. This role involves working with the caseworkers to directly support clients from refugee, asylum seeker or vulnerable migrant background with a wide variety of needs. Examples include completing citizenship applications, social housing applications, school enrolments, looking for suitable rental properties and applying for those, attending appointments with clients, assisting clients to get their drivers licence, helping clients develop resumes, cover letters and applying for jobs. This is a varied and rewarding volunteer opportunity.
2. Tutoring – We are seeking a number of volunteers to provide weekly one-on-one or small-group tutoring to primary or secondary school students from refugee background. This would suit teachers, retired teachers, teaching students or anyone who would like to support our students with their homework – you do not need to be an expert, just willing to help our students out and be able to commit to anything from one to three afternoons per week. This program runs on Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays 2.30-5pm.
3. Packing and delivery of OzHarvest food hampers – We are seeking a number of volunteers to assist with the coordination, packing and delivery of grocery and fruit & veg hampers to families in need. This program runs on Monday afternoons, approx. 2-5.30pm. Deliveries are in the Newcastle area (mostly suburbs around Mayfield-Waratah-Jesmond-Wallsend).
4. Community Garden volunteers – we have a beautiful Community Garden at our Refugee Hub and are looking for some volunteers to help us look after it. The idea is to grow mostly edible crops that our client families and programs can enjoy. Aside from gardening, this volunteer role also involves some admin/organising in relation to the garden as well as engaging with clients from refugee, asylum seeker and migrant backgrounds to grow crops that are culturally important to them. It will be a very rewarding volunteer opportunity for anyone with a keen interest in gardening and supporting people from refugee backgrounds. It is quite a flexible role, you cn come as often as you like but ideally an hour or two a couple of times a week during our opening hours Mon - Thurs 9am to 5pm would be great.
5. Driving program mentor - We are seeking a number of volunteers to provide weekly one-on-one mentoring support to participants in our driving program. In this program, clients are supported to learn to drive, get professional lessons and undertake the required tests with the goal of receiving their drivers licence. As a mentor, you support, guide and encourage the client through the process. You also assist them to study for and do online practice quizzes and potentially even do some driving practice (strictly in accordance with organisational policy). This is a rewarding volunteering opportunity where you will really get to know your mentee and you get to work together towards a tangible goal.
6. Men's and Women's group volunteers - We run a weekly Men's and Women's Group for people who are from refugee, asylum seeker or vulnerable migrant backgrounds. Our Multicultural Family Support Workers facilitate the group's to help provide a space for people to make connections, develop their language skills and to gain knowledge and skills that will help them as they settle in Australia.
Volunteers who speak Arabic, Swahili, Farsi or Dari would be most welcome (however this is not essential).
If you are able to help us in one of these roles please complete the form below!